Saturday, November 7, 2009

BEANS PARRUPU USILI RECIPE

paruppu usili
I am back again with parrupu usili. Again this is a traditional dish  and very good accompaniment for morkulambhu and vatha kulambhu. Before i got married,i eat parrupu usili as a accompaniment to rice.After marriage everybody in my hubby’s place they mix usili with hot rice and keep morkulambhu for accompaniment.
The very first time when i saw this it was strange to me and after trying that combo,it was good.
My MIL makes this very nicely and i learnt this from her. she adds more of channa dal and little of toor dal,to make the usili  like parrupu podi and mix with rice.
Here comes the recipe for beans usili.
Regarding the veggies to be added in usili,it is absolutely your choice.We can add beans, carrot,valaipoo,cluster beans,cabbage,broadbeans. My hubby’s grandma used to say that it can be made with onions and ladies finger too.But i never tried using all that.
Check out my


Beans paruppu usili

  Preparation Time : 15 mins + soaking time 1 hour| Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 3-4

     Beans  1 cup ( chopped into small)
     Channa dal  1 cup
     Toor dal   1/4 cup
     Red chili  4
     Asafoedita  2 pinches
    Turmeric powder  2 pinches
    Urad dal   1/2 tsp
    Mustard seeds   1/4 tsp
    Oil  2 tblsp
    Curry leaves   few  
     
     


usili
Method:


  • Soak channa dal and toor dal for 1 hr or if you are making this in weekdays for lunch box and going to make in the morning,soak it overnight and keep it in the fridge.
  • Drain the water and grind it in the mixie  along with hing ,redchilles ,curry leaves and salt,without adding water to it. Grease an idli plate and steam this ground paste for 7 – 10 mins.

DSCN2399 DSCN2082

  • When it is done cut the steamed dal into pices and allow it to cool. After that,put it in a mixie and just grind it once .

DSCN2401 DSCN2404

  • Heat a kadai, add a tblsp of oil and add mustard seeds and urad dhal to it.when it is done add the dal to it and fry nicely till it becomes golden brown.
  • Meanwhile cook the beans and carrot in a kadai adding a little salt to it.

DSCN2406 DSCN2395

  • Now mix both the beans and the dal nicely..
  • Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with hot fluffy rice .

usili
If you want usili to be very soft add more of toordhal and a little  channa dal.

33 comments:

  1. Looks good,I too make similar way,except that I add jeera while grinding and coconut too :)
    Step wise pics will help many for sure! Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jeya..what a colorfull usli..would have eaten it right now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for ur quick comment raji and SE

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - never had this I think... Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. this is one of my favt da.. One of my grandma makes it so well, i tried once, but didn't get that original taste.. will try ur version!;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ita a new recipe to me..so colourful and different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had prepared it last week as it was in some book but urs look so much better than that...really delicious & a healthy one too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prepare it in the same way .I love usili especially plaintain flower usili.

    ReplyDelete
  9. usili looks great....yummy n delicious!!..keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you back!Trying Usli soon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow back with a bang!Wonderful beans usili.A great click.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a fond of usilis but ur pic make me to drool. Looks delicious and nice step by step pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tempting dish...beans parippu combo sounds gr8...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beans parrupu usili looks colourful and awesome!!nice step by step presentation..Perfect with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back Jey... Perfect come-back recipe.. Usili, awesome comfort food! Your step-by-step pics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh god, my all time favourite...just love this protein packed dish..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious and colourful recipe dear

    ReplyDelete
  18. U r version is similar to my mom's one.good with sambhar rice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks lovely and this is one of my favorite. Very beautiful click.

    ReplyDelete
  20. superb click and mouthwatering usili.i posted morkulambu in t&t ..please have a look..thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so tempting Jeyasree, I have never tried an usili, urs is inviting me to try.
    I had liked ur bottlegourd pittala also, but was not keeping too well that time to leave a comment, so making for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Healthy recipe.Colorful n a sensible dish.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi nice step by step usli looks very delicious my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My MIL too makes this, with kothavarai(cluster beans)..though I havent tried usili yet..:)
    ..A must try recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. well..the picture of my dish doesnt show in your side bar?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Usli looks yummy.. Nice click too..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome..looks very colorful..Must be a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome, really awesome picture dear. I love usili, goes excellent with Kara kuzhambu!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Usili and morkozhambu are my all-time favorite dishes. Super Jeyamma.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well explained.... I have missed this post...

    ReplyDelete
  31. when making Keerai , beans or other green veges how to retain the green color. Usually it turns greyish when it gets cooked. Any tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally to retain the color add 1 tsp of sugar to the green curry so that it will retain the color

      Delete
  32. I love your blog and it's pretty accurate too. I follow ur blog for almost all my cooking. Thank you sooooo much! Keep inspiring !

    ReplyDelete