Monday, November 23, 2009

VAALAKKAI (RAW BANANA)PODIMAS RECIPE | RAW BANANA PODIMAS


Vazhakkai podimas recipe, i recently learnt from my mom and since it is different from the usual podimas we make usually. .My mom learnt this from my athai,(aunt). So thanks to my athai .We all enjoyed it and here is the recipe of Vazhakkai podimas. Check out my potato podimas and vazhaikkai chips recipe.
Vazhakkai podimas


Vazhakkai podimas

  Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4

     Raw banana  2
     Toor dal   2 tblsp
     Red chili   2
     Asafoetida  2 pinches
     Salt   as needed
     Coconut  2 tblsp
     Mustard seeds   1/2 tsp
     Urad dal  1/2 tsp
     Oil   3 tsp
                                         Video of vazhakkai podimas

     




Raw banana podimas


Method:
  • In a kadai add 1/2 tsp of oil and roast the toor dal and red chilli till golden brown.
  • Allow it to cool.Grind this into a fine powder along with the coconut.
  • Heat a kadai and add 1tsp of oil and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal and asfoetida.
  • Now add the grated vaalakai to it and add the ground powder and mix nicely.
  • Cut the raw banana into two and boil it with water for 10-12 minutes or till it it is cooked.
  • Don't not over cook and this will make a mashed podimas.
  • Take it out when 3/4th is done.and remove the skin.
  • Grate the raw bananas using a grater. 

  • Heat a kadai and add 1tsp of oil and temper with mustard seeds,urad dhal, curry leaves and asfoetida.
  • Now add the grated vaalakai to it and add the ground powder and mix nicely.
  • Transfer it to a serving bowl. You can mix this with  hot rice,along with papad .
  • Will taste excellent with vathakulambhu rice also. 
  • Enjoy any combo of your choice.
Vazhakkai-podimas

33 comments:

  1. Hi good recipe!Did not know that we could add thur dhal to it.Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vazhakka thoran is one of my fav's.. have tried it with Red beans , but never with dal..
    looks sooo yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is ma fav veg...but never tried this version...Sounds great..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love vazhakkai podimas but this is different.. My mom's version has onions, ginger & g. chillies with coconut. Must try this toor dhal red chillies version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting version.. like the addition of tuar dal.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very new dish to me,sure will try out next time I buy this :) Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. vazhakkai ya neela vakkula azhaga vetti irukkeenga!

    I have been longing to try this vazhakkai podimaas. Now your pic tempts me lot...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a south Indian,this is not new to me.But the photos and the step by step pics is awesome! Keep rocking
    Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. liked the pics and step by step process too...must be really delicious as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this delicious version,sounds interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey great explanation with steps..looks delicious..i do have raw bananas, will try this..

    ReplyDelete
  12. podimas looks superb!!!....delicious...and tempting pics, dear!...thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks tempting!!I love anything that contains raw banana!Nice step by step presentation..will try this soon.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe its made with raw banana,looks too good..thanx for sharing,bookmarked it,will try sooon

    ReplyDelete
  15. The banana dish looks so yummy and delicious. First time here. Nice space. Do checkout my site when you have a chance

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so good and a very beautiful click.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy looking Podimas Jey!! I never mde podimas till date of my own, for some strange reason.. Your pics have tempted me so much, that I have bookmarked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow , super..have 2 bananas ..will surely try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice..Will come here to see how its made.. Will make it for H..
    I dont like this veggie :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good recipe Jeyashri...New to me..Today I have posted banana chips :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great blend of flavors..yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely podimas,like to eat them with rasam as well as curd rice.Thanks for sharing the recipe jeyashri.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow,,,looks flavourful and yum..quite a new version to me..will try this sometime...bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Jeyashri
    My 1st visit here and I regeret why I did not visit this place before.
    I like your presentation, ingredients in tabular form , great.
    Raw banana is my favorite, I am learning the south Indian style now.
    Thanks for sharing and have an exciting weekend with great food

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank u all for ur encouraging comments.Do try u will surely enjoy this.
    Raje and ushnish gosh welcome to my blog.Glad to see u here.Keep visiting

    ReplyDelete
  26. yummy,goes well with white rice

    ReplyDelete
  27. vaazhaikkai podimas looks absolutely delicious;

    came here through Rohini's bday wishes, thankfully! you've got a nice collection of recipes here!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a very interesting dish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made this. It was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, I use this powder with capsicum, kovai, cluster beans on a regular basis now!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your blog .... traditional recipes !!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved this. It came out really well. Infact love most of your recipes. This Navarathri.. all my Neivedhiyams were thanks to your Blog. Reminded me of my Amma's neivedhiyams. Did not take pics to share. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jeyashri madam,I am following your blog several years but I never commented for any dishes,today I want to give a comment for this dish because I tried this several times in different ways but I never got a exact texture.today I got the exact texture(uthri uthriya).all the credits go to jeyashri's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete