Wednesday, November 11, 2009

YAM FRY(TAWA METHOD) | SEHNAIKIZHANGU VARUVAL

yam fry
This recipe of yam fry i learnt from my friend . It is surely a treat for yam lovers,like me. Yes me and my Varsha are a big fan of yam .And this method consumes less oil and even my hubby who is not a big fan of yam also liked this. Check out my sennai kizhangu curry and yam kola urundai too.


Yam fry (tawa method)

  Preparation Time : 15 mins + standing time 1 hour| Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3

     Yam  250 gms
     Sambar powder  1 tblsp
     Thick tamarind extract   2 tblsp
     Salt  as needed
     Asafoetida  2 pinches
     Oil    2 tblsp
     Curry leaves  few
     Turmeric powder  1/4 tsp
     
     

Method
yam fry
  • Cut the yam into thin slices,by removing the thick skin and put this in water. You can use the potato slicer too.
  • Add salt,turmeric powder and asfoedita(hing) to it and boil for 5 mins. Check to it ,it should not be overcooked. the pieces should be firm after boiling it.
DSCN2453 DSCN2456-1
  • Once it is done,drain the excess water and allow the yam slices to dry completely.
  • Ensure that it should not contain any water.You can even pat the slices with kitchen towels.
  • Add sambhar powder to it. Take a thick extract from presoaked tamarind.Add to the yam slices and mix well to get a nice coating of the mixture with the yam.
DSCN2457 DSCN2460
  • Keep it in the fridge for 1 –2 hours. Normally i make this for a weekday lunch,so i do it the previous night and keep in the fridge.
  • Heat a tawa and add a tblsp of oil and spread the yam slices in that. When it is done on oneside flip over on the otherside. Repeat this for the rest of the slices.
DSCN2461 DSCN2464
  • Transfer to serving bowl and add curry leaves to it. Serve as an accompaniment for simple Tomato Rasam.
yam fry

26 comments:

  1. I have made only once,but dint clicked,this one looks very tempting,will try buying next time I go mustafa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure looks Worth a try! I never buy yam fearing the throat-itch.. But this time I'll surely buy this and try out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks simple to make, btw what is perungayam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so easy and really a delicious crsipy fry...nice click too jeyashri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rohini adding tamarind extract rids away the throat itch

    Pari,sorry for not giving the english name for perungayam.It is hing/asfoeditia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice click, i too tried once but in a different way.will surely try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so yummy and delicious....love to have it with curd rice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Superb Yam Fry!!!!
    Excellent pics too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good, i make only curry & masiyal with Senai. Have tasted deep fried ones in marriages but this one looks very interesting without deep frying. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tried this.Looks good .

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new one for me.I used to do potato the same way.A good idea to make yam this way too.As usual great click!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!Looks super delicious and crispy ..Nice presentation!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just love this...very tempting fry..

    ReplyDelete
  14. seems to be very simple..I should give it a try..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes yes...I love yam fries..We make it in a different way...yours look delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yam is ma fav....This looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the award and yam looks like a hearty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOh this luks yumm...
    I m not a fan of Yam yet... I have been quite fussy kid.. so never tried many of the veggies:)

    Glas ur daughter liked the AlooMethi paratha...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love senaikizhangu too but unfortunately we only get the frozen variety here. Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yam fry looks fabulous, even i do in the same way but i use chilly powder instead of sambhar powder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never tasted yam till now...this fry looks yum...i think i must start using that veggie...congrats on u r award....

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend used to bring this kind of yum when i was on job. But I never tried. MMMM...now got the recipe for me to try immediately. thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never tried,will try soon,Yam fry Makes me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  24. I simply love this one! I often make it for free-time munching :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. when i searched for senai and chenai i couldnt find. may be you can have more link words other than yam.

    ReplyDelete