Thursday, February 25, 2010

PULI UPMA RECIPE | SOUTH INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPES

Puli upma
Hi friends, Sorry for not visiting your blogs for the past 2 weeks.We went to India for a family function and had a very good time there and came back 2 days back. Now things have come to a routine.
Coming to the recipe, this Puli upma is my all time favourite,whenever i visit my mom’s place i ask her to make this for breakfast. even when she visited here last time,most of the days she made this for me. But though it is my favourite, i never attempted to make this. Still don't know why!!. Yesterday i thought of attempting this on my own.Came out very well.
Just wanted to share the recipe with u all.Simple and easy one made with rice flour and tamarind water.
Check out my




Puli upma recipe

  Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 1-2

     Rice flour   1/2 cup
     Tamarind extract   1 and 1/4 cup
     Asafoetida  a pinch
     Salt   as needed
     Mustard seeds   1/4 tsp
     Oil   1 tblsp
     Red chili   3 
     
     


Method:
  • Soak a small piece of tamarind in warm water .
  • Extract tamarind water from it.
  • Mix this with the rice flour
  • Add salt and mix well
  • The consistency should be slightly loose from the chapathi dough.
DSCN3127
  • Heat a kadai,and add oil to it
  • Temper mustard seeds, asafoetida and red chillies to it.
  • When it crackles add the rice flour mixture to it.
DSCN3128 DSCN3130
  • Cook in medium flames and break the lumps with a ladle.
DSCN3131
  • When it is cooked, sprinkle a few drops of water to it .
  • Mix it well and switch off the flame.
  • Serve hot with SUTTA APPLAM.(Pappad roasted on open flame or can be microwaved too)
  • I personally love to eat this with sugar smeared on the top of it and with papad.
Puli upma

37 comments:

  1. I do prepare the similar way too, as u told love with sugar..Hope u had a great trip and had fun with ur family...Glad to see u back ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and simple too jeyashri, never tried upma this way..looks good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. its very simple and easy....nice evening tiffin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see u back.The Upma looks so good I will surely try this and let u know. Thanx for sharing dear and so good u tried it for urself..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not yet tried on my own,enjoyed my mom's puli upma,and the way to enjoy it is very new to me,will try making and try this technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you enjoyed your stay back home and with those yummy food out there:) Upma looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never tried upma with rice flour...Looks nice and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. woww intresting one..very easy too :)...looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ths is just nice.. I wud love to have it with smeared sugar :)
    hope u had a pleasant trip too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back!
    Puli Upma looks tempting.. I make small Kozhakattais out of the same batter, during Ganesh Chathurthi..
    Would love to have it anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jayashri ,Missed your lovely comments.Hope you had a lovely time in India. Simple and yummy puli upma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey
    Glad that you enjoyed your stay in India!! puli upma looks delicious and tasty..never heard..tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a new dish to me...looks easy to make..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Jeyammaa! Thinking about my mom's Puli upma makes me drool like my dog. It is my all-time favorite tiffin. I love your step-by-step picture instructions. Kalakku Jeyamma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love puli aval and mor kali and this seems to be a delectable combination of both.. can't wait to try... yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope you had a great time back home Jayashri. the upma is very new to me but this could be a life saver at times. perfecto picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. a very similar prep with besan is done !! this looks very tasty !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. we make something similar in my house out of bhajani (mix of many lentils grounded) but that is quite spicy..love this way of upma..yummy and tangy..bookmarked..will try once..

    www.foodlyrics.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. upma looks really very nice and yummy...love to have this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum.. this looks great.. I am quite a fan of upma

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks so yummy ... I love puli upma.. wonderful taste.. Hope I can get that plate now.. really I am hungry ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear that you had a fun vacation..
    This is a new upma for me..thanks for sharing, Jeyashri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow this upma is new 2 me, looks delicious, thnx for sharing...hope u njoyed ur trip 2 india

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice recipe my family loves this. I made with Broken rice ydy for tiffen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simple and delicious, one of my favorites !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally new recipe .Bookmarking this one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! this upma is really new to me, looks too good. Book marking it dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i tried it today .it was tasty but couldnt break the lumps

    ReplyDelete
  29. i tried this today. It was tasty but couldnt break the lumps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deepa it will take time and you have to break the lumps with the ladle . Good exercise for hands!!. But for all the pain we take in making it will taste awesome

      Delete
  30. Hi Jeyashri, one tip on this pulima upma which i got from my sister. First fry the rice flour in pan for 2 mins without oil and then mix with tamarind water, it will not be so tough to mix and the upma comes very soft. I tried and it came yummy :)...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great recipe, will try it for my Sons tiffin :) have a look at my blog, I have posted some tiffin ideas too http://www.vslittleworld.com/2012/08/tiffin-ideas-for-preschooler-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Jeyashri,
    stumbled onto your blog while searching for badam burfi recipe; lovely blog and photos, you're doing a great job! Little tip: this upma can also be made with just curd or buttermilk, and this version is my all-time favourite.. on reading this I realized it's been such a long time since I made it! My mom used to call it 'pachamapodi upma', andit is an oily version of morekoozhu. BTW, the badam barfi turned out great, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. very new upma for me. will try it for breakfast tmrw akka :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete