Friday, September 28, 2012

PARRUPU URUNDAI KUZHAMBHU | URUNDAI KULAMBHU

Parrupu Urundai Kuzhambhu, my mom makes during our childhood days, but i never used to eat it and she makes rasam for me but my sister used to love it like anything. Even after marriage in my in laws place they never used to make it but i remember once my mil made this with morkuzhambhu. When i wanted to make this last week, I asked my mom for the recipe and i tried it and somehow i enjoyed it and told my mom that i liked the paruppu urundai kulambhu very much.
Check out my

urundai kuzhambhu

INGREDIENTS:
FOR URUNDAIS:(YIELDS 10 SMALL BALLS)
TOOR DHAL 1/4 CUP
CHANNA DAL 1 TBLSP
RED CHILLI 2
SHALLOTS(SMALL ONION) 6-7(OPTIONAL)
SALT AS NEEDED
ASFOETIDA A GENEROUS PINCH
FOR THE GRAVY
TAMARIND EXTRACT(THIN EXTRACT) 3 CUPS
SAMBAR POWDER 2 TSP
SALT AS NEEDED
TURMERIC POWDER 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
SESAME OIL 1 TBLSP
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/4 TSP
CURRY LEAVES FEW
urundai kuzhambhu

Method:
  • Wash and soak the dals together for 45 minutes.
  • Drain the water completely and grind it into a slightly coarse paste by adding red chilli , salt and asafoetida to this.
  • Peel the skin of the shallots (if using)and finely chop them and mix it to the ground dal mix.
IMG_8448 IMG_8456
  • Grease your hands and make small tight balls.
  • Grease the idli plate and arrange the urundais on it and steam it for 12 to 15 minutes on medium flame.
  • Insert a tooth pick to check out whether it is done.
IMG_8461 IMG_8465
  • In a pan, add sesame oil and throw in the mustard seeds and when it splutters add the tamarind extract and add the turmeric powder, salt,sambar powder ,curry leaves and asafoetida.
IMG_8463
  • When it starts boiling simmer the flame and add the steamed paruppu urundais carefully to the boiling gravy one by one.
IMG_8466 IMG_8467
  • Let this boil till it reaches a kulambhu (gravy) consistency.
  • It should be slightly thicker than the sambar.
IMG_8469-001
  • Serve with hot rice. Normally we mix  the gravy with hot rice and keep he urundais as accompaniment.
  • We had with avarakkai(broad beans) curry and Vazhakkai chips.

urundai kuzhambhu
Note:
  • Adding onions is totally optional. My mom told adding onions makes it soft.
  • Some people add fennel seeds while grinding ,but since i don’t like it much i didn’t add.
  • You  also add a tsp of cumin seed while grinding.
  • Some people may add coconut to the gravy, if you want to add just grind 2-3 tblsp of coconut with little water and add it to the gravy in the last.
  • Always ensure that the balls should be tight and while grinding do not add water. If it is loose they may tend to break after putting it into the gravy.

27 comments:

  1. Looks so yum ....the last pic is so tempting ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yummy.. this is my favourite kuzhambhu
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites Jeyashri....The bowl looks too tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks pretty :) i loved it you steamed the balls instead of frying :) i totally do this way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy .. I add onions and steam the balls too. Favorite kuzhambu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely comforting meal..love this one and I always wanted to blog this kuzhumbu somehow never took pics..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tempting spread and love the urundai kuzhambu....Looks very delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fry the balls many times but steaming is way more healthier nice clicks and lovely recipe as alwaysss :)
    Spiced Milk / Masala Paal
    Inviting You To Join In The South Vs North Challenge - Learn Regional Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all time fav kuzhambu...We used to add the urundai directly into the kuzhmabu and cook it and its tastes more flavorful..Nice colorful pics...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the last click jeyashri...my MIL makes this kuzhambu and instead of steaming she directly adds it in the gravy, but I always prefer it this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. superb looks... will you pass it to me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucen exquisitas me encantan las albóndigas muy buena elaboración,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey my urundais got disintegrated :-( i dunno what the prob was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramya the reason may be the dal mixture must be slightly watery. Or you must not have steamed it properly. Check out and go ahead

      Delete
  14. Looks very delicious, its my favorite all time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my fav anytime...can have it even daily avlo pidikum :) Super tempting clicks, love that serving bowl too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. i didnt get the gravy consistency....its watery.what to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason might be you must have added a lot of water or the dal urundais may be less. You can make a thin paste of 1 tsp of rice flour and add to the gravy and boil for few minutes. It will become thick

      Delete
  17. thanks mam, because of you my wife cooking well,உங்களால் தான் எங்கள் வீட்டில் அடுப்பு எறியுது

    ReplyDelete
  18. The curry came out yummy...awesome recipe..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. my urundai becomes so hard like rock i dnt knw what i have done i put the same measuremnt u said and i dnt put oninons may be i think that was my mistake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onions will give softness, but if you are omitting onions,ensure that the dal mixture is not too thick.

      Delete
  20. Awesome Jeyashri. You always rocks. I am following your recipes last six months. My wife likes my dishes now, all because of you.Now i took cooking is my hobby. Vazhga Valamudan. Vazhga pallandu.

    ReplyDelete