Friday, September 20, 2013

Pottukadalai chutney, Easy Chutney recipes

Easy to make pottukadalai chutney recipe, with step by step pictures, pairs well with idli|dosa.
  Every time it is tough to decide what to make a side dish for dosa | idli. This pottukadalai Chutney can be made with or without coconut too. I just tried this recipe as the similar way as i did my Peanut Chutney   I added coconut but tried without coconut too. Both versions of Pottukadalai chutney tasted awesome with Idli and Dosa. Try this easy pottukadalai |fried gram| roasted gram chutney. Check out the collections of Chutney recipes HERE.
Pottukadalai chutney


Pottukadalai chutney recipe
Pottukadalai chutney

  • Recipe Cusine: Indian
  • Prep Time: 5 Minutes
  • Cook time: 10 Minutes
  • Serves: 2-3
  • Author: Jeyashri
  • Recipe Category:Breakfast| Dinner
  • Description: Easy to make pottukadalai chutney recipe, with step by step pictures, pairs well with idli|dosa.
     Pottukadalai| Chutney dal  1/4 cup
     Red chili    4-5
    Coconut  1 tblsp
    Garlic 2 cloves (optional)
    Oil  2 tsp
    Mustard seeds  1/4 tsp 
    Salt  as needed
    Curry leaves  few
   
Pottukadalai chutney

Method with step by step pictures :

  • In a small pan, add 1 tsp oil and add the red chilli, garlic and roast till golden brown in a low flame.
  • Switch off the flame.
  • If adding  coconut add now and let the coconut coconut get roasted in the heat of the pan.
  • Allow this to cool and grind this along with pottukadalai.
  • No need to roast the pottukadalai | chutney dal. 
  • Add water to get the desired consistency.
  • Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  • Tasty pottukadalai chutney is ready to serve.
  • This is a perfect combo for Idli| dosa. Also it goes well with chapathi too.
Pottukadalai chutney

 

24 comments:

  1. one of my fav.. I do it without coconut

    ReplyDelete
  2. very tasty looking chutney:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked the bowl ! some times i do not mix water instead i add a tbsp of oil ! like we do for milagai podi ! its yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. good one..I try my best to minimize coconut..so surely will be trying this without coconut..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, my mom makes this often.. Love that flavour a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious chutney, perfect with idli and dosa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking yummy. i make with green chilli ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds good, will try sometime. Bowl looks cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this chutney for idli and upma....I use curd instead of water...

    ReplyDelete
  10. my husbands fav chutney...looks creamy..lovely bowl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love pottukadalai chutney but our variation does not have garlic!1! I love the runny form of this chutney with hot hot dosas in the night!!!!
    Do pop on my blog space when you can...

    Shobha
    www.anubhavati.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious and lovely looking chutney. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious chutney,want some hot idlis now to taste it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this chutney with some crispy dosas,my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my favorite kind of chutney... delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Amma makes this chutney often, since my dad doesn't eat coconut. She also adds a pinch of tamarind. Nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a boon for diabetic people who want to consume less coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow..looks inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I make pesarattu often and would like to try this with pesarattu..
    please visit my page and let me know your comments. It would help me as a beginner
    http://recipesfromamma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks a million for this easy recipe and also for the garlic chutney!! both are yummy!!

    ReplyDelete