Monday, April 21, 2014

KEERAI KOOTU RECIPE | KOOTU RECIPES

keerai-kootu

Any variety of kootu is loved by all of us at home. Evn my son who sometimes won't eat some veggies, if i make in the form of kootu, he will have it without any complaints. Keerai kootu i made it almost once or twice a week and among all kootu recipes, this one with keerai|spinach we like a lot. My mom makes this with manathakkali keerai , which we grow in our garden. I still love the freshness of the kootu she makes with home grown keerai. This kootu recipe is very easy to make and very healthy too. Check out my Keerai Masiyal and Keerai poriyal.
keerai-kootu



Ingredients
Keerai Kootu

  Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 |   Serves :


     Keerai | Spinach*  - 2 bunch (around 4.5 cups)
    Sambar powder  - 1 and 1/2 tsp
    Salt    As needed
    Asafoetida  2 pinches 
    Sugar    1/4 tsp 
    Turmeric powder  1/4 tsp
    Yellow moong dal (un cooked) - 1/4 cup
    Coconut   2 tblsp
    Jeera | cumin seeds  1/2 tsp
    Black pepper  1/4 tsp
   Coconut oil   1 tsp    
* I used the round spinach , you can use arai keerai or mulai keerai or even manathakkali keerai

Method:
  • Wash the spinach 4-5 times as they have small sands . Chop them finely.
  • Add sambar powder, salt,asafoetida, sugar and turmeric powder.
keerai keerai
  • Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5-7 minutes . Let the raw smell of the sambar powder go and the keerai gets cooked. The keerai will get cooked very fast as they are finely chopped.
  • Pressure cook the moong dal with enough water.
keerai-cooking moong dal
  • Grind the coconut , jeera, and pepper into a fine paste. Add little water if needed while grinding. do not add more.
coconut ground -coconut
  • Add the cooked dal and the ground paste too.
  • Mix well and let this boil for 5 minutes . 
  • Switch it off.
coconut-mix kootu

  • Temper mustard seeds and urad dal in coconut oil.
  • Serve hot with plain rice or as a side dish for Vathal kuzhambhu.
keerai-kootu

Note:

  • If you feel the kootu is bit watery, mix 1 tsp of rice flour and little  water and add in the last and boil for 5 more minutes.

17 comments:

  1. classic kootu .I too love kootus much

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very healthy and simple one.
    As usual, pictures r tempeting..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite things to have with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favourites. ..healthy yet delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. my all time favorite :D i do the same way .. classic click i would say

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even we all love it and make similarly. Love it with rice and ghee

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is must in our household too.. just that I don't add grinded coconut but my mum and MIL add it

    ReplyDelete
  9. i grind green chilli with coconut and jeera and add.Some grind with a clove of garlic too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My all time favourite!! tempting clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey nice color jay!!! I as well grind with green chilli. But tdy tried ur way with pepper.tasted yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was good I tried it today , and also ur method is simple .... I like that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice one. Jeyashri I am a bachelor staying away from home outside food is causing health issues... If you could share the veggies which can be prepared easily for lunch and dinner in the morning it will be nice... Email I'd - satneu2001@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Check out my recipe index page, you have lot of easy recipes. Any queries mail feel free to mail me

      Delete
  14. So super and healthy dish.easy method to do.thanks for sharing.


    ReplyDelete