Friday, August 31, 2012

BRINJAL CURRY | KATHRIKKAI CURRY| EGGPLANT STIR FRY RECIPE

  Eggplant | brinjal| kathrikkai whatever you call is one of my favorite veggie and especially this curry which my mom makes with the big eggplant which we use for Baingan bharta is my most favorite one. I still remember wheni was pregnant with my second kid, i used to ask my mom to make this alteast 3-4 times a week. This will taste awesome when we mix with hot rice and eat with papad(my mouthwaters!!)
Also check out my
  1. Stuffed brinjal curry
  2. Kathirikkai podi curry

brinjal curry
INGREDIENTS:

BRINJAL | EGGPLANT 1 (BIG)
ONION 2
SAMBAR POWDER 1 AND 1/2 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER 1/4 TSP
SALT AS NEEDED
COOKING OIL 1-2 TBLSP
CURRY LEAVES FEW
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/4 TSP
BRINJAL CURRY

METHOD:
  • Cut the brinjals into cubes. Slice the onions thinly.
IMG_7374 IMG_7370
  • In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When it crackles add the thinly sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
  • Add the cubed  brinjals and throw in the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
IMG_7375
  • Saute them  in a medium flame till the brinjals become tender and cooked nicely.
IMG_7378 IMG_7380
  • When the color changes to dark brown, switch of the flame.
  • Serve hot with plain rice or enjoy with simple Tomato Rasam and rice.

brinjal curry
Note:
  • You can use small brinjals or the green color brinjals too.
  • Sambar powder can be replaced with red chilli powder too.

26 comments:

  1. My mouth waters too !! Lovely looks very homey. Will love it with rasam rice as you said !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this fry! especially with the sambar powder... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome.. my mom makes it the same way with LOTs of sliced onions.... so simple and tasty. Have not tried eating it directly with rice and papad.... seems to be a tasty combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of curry Jeyashri...looks delicious,love it with rice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love brinjal in any form..looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so great.. I would like to have some.. it will well with chapathi also
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. who say no to brinjal my all time favourite

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks yumm..i make it almost similarly but havent tried adding sambar powder..will do it next time..i just add a little chilly powder..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do same except the onion...looks yum with that rasam n rice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy brinjal preparation...Love this veggie...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this my fav,yummy...pass it with the bowl:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple and tasty too. One of my fav veggie.

    Vardhini
    Event: HITS : Rice

    ReplyDelete
  13. This very good recipe. I like it very much.Will try it soon.

    Joint Replacement India

    ReplyDelete
  14. very yummy dish dear... its my grand mom favorite one...
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks delicious.. i love it.. Ongoing event " Party snacks",more detais : http://en-iniyaillam.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/party-snacks-event-announcement.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. With piping hot rice and papad this simple gravy would be so good to eat...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My all time favorite curry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow! one more veggie added to my regular lunch menu! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SImply love this curry with hot piping rasam and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. super tempting !!! My best friend , Hemamalini , is a big fan of your blog.She conveyed her wishes to you...and following your page in FB . She is very excited to know that you are also from madurai.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummy n inviting curry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks super delicious, I love this with anything! Craving now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. நீà®™்கள் கூà®±ியபடி செய்து சாப்பிட்டோà®®்.கத்தரிகாய் கறி à®®ிக à®…à®°ுà®®ை.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a delicious, yet simple recipe!! easy to cook and yummy to eat....Thanks jeyashri!!

    ReplyDelete