Monday, January 21, 2013

RAVA PONGAL | RAVA PONGAL RECIPE

SOOJI PONGAL

Rava- Pongal
Rava Pongal- A healthy breakfast or dinner recipe of pongal made using yellow
moong dal and rava (semolina or sooji). Few years back, I tried making Rava
Pongal, when I wanted to make something different for breakfast at my in law's
place. I remembered a friend mentioning about this dish to me. After this incident, I
completely forgot about this dish. It did not strike me in those days that we could
recipes of different dishes from the internet. Yesterday, when I suddenly
remembered Rava Pongal, I tried making it the second time using my own discretion
with the recipe. I must say, we were quite happy the results, in terms of the texture
and taste of the pongal. Hence, I decided to document this recipe.
Also check out my Collection of South Indian breakfast recipes


Rava pongal recipe
Rava pongal recipe

  • Recipe Cusine: Indian
  • Prep Time: 10 Minutes
  • Cook time: 25 Minutes
  • Serves: 1-2
  • Author: Jeyashri
  • Recipe Category: Lunch | Dinner
  • Description: Rava Pongal- A healthy breakfast or dinner recipe of pongal made using yellow moong dal and rava (semolina or sooji)

     Sooji  1/2 cup
     Yellow moong dal  1/2 cup (cooked)
     Ghee 2 tblsp
     Black pepper  1/4 tsp
     umin seeds  1/4 tsp
    Cashew nuts few
    Curry leaves  few
    Ginger  a small piece
    Water   3 cups 
    Oil   3 tsp
    Oil  1 tblsp

Method with step by step pictures :


Rava -pongal
METHOD:
  • Roast the rava finely in a pan without getting it burnt.
Rava pongal step 1 rava pongal step 2
  • Pressure cook the moong dal till it becomes mushy.
  • In a pan, add ghee and oil, add black whole pepper, ginger  and cashew nuts.
  • Fry in a medium flame till the cashew nuts turn golden brown. Add the cumin seeds now and immediately add water. Do not allow the cumin to roast for a long time as it will spoil the taste.
Rava pongal step 3 Rava pongal step 4
  • Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a nice boil. Add salt.
  • Once the water starts boiling, add the roasted rava to this. Keep it in a low medium flame. Once it starts cooking add the cooked moong dal. Mix well and let it sit for a while till the pongal consistency reaches.
Rava pongal step 6 Rava pongal step 8
  • Garnish with curry leaves and if you want add a tsp of ghee to this you can add now.
Rava Pongal step 7
Rava -Pongal          *The water measurement is for cooking the rava not included for cooking moong dal.
NOTES:
  1. You can roast the moong dal for 2 minutes and then pressure cook if you wish.
  2. Never roast the cumin seeds for  a long time as it will give a medicinal smell.
  3. I added whole black pepper, you can even coarsely crush and add to the Rava Pongal. 
I have kept my coffee tumbler empty. It is just used as a prop for the photo.
.


50 comments:

  1. Real yummy...
    http;//recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it...
    looks delicious dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly two days back i tried this pongal...even i loved the taste of rava with dhal.... your clicks are awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made another version of it. The dal was roasted and powdered. Once the rava was roasted, both were pressure cooked. It was quite nice. I thought it needed a few more changes. This is another method of cooking it and I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious pongal. Looks great. I make it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious pongal...yummy yummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....great recipe.....

    Helen
    http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful clicks and comforting recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy .. I make it too, but the one with rice is made more often at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a big fan of the regular rice pongal,but I think I'll like this rava version.Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rava pongal looks delicious Jeyashri...nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never tried rava pongal. Will try soon. Simple and yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this..Had it long back at an aunt`s place..makes a tasty & delish breakfast!! Nice pics ;)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tasty pongal, even I make this sometimes..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good. Nice alternate for the rice pongal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this and made it a few times, but never actually blogged..looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  17. your pics are so great now jey, one better than the other. this is a favourite of mine and my MIL makes it very well.

    ps: i laughed at your coffee tumbler line :D i remember our discussion about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks nags for your sweet and encouraging words.
      Even when i was writing coffee tumbler line i remembered our discussion. Precautionary measure dhan!!

      Delete
  18. looks yummy.. This is one pongal I can eat!
    http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. rava pongal is handy jey ! and pictures are great !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its been a while i had this pongal,love to have it for tonite dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too posted pongal toady :) ...I make this one very rare too...looks yum, ideal for bfast

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rava pongal...looks yummy..better choice when we bored with upma...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so yum n tempting ...nice click

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom never made rava pongal.. i first tasted it when my husband's aunt made it and liked it. I often make the spinach - broken wheat pongal from sailus kitchen... must make this regular version sometime. Lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love to eat it if made by somebody else ;) delicious pongal. Looks perfectly made

    ReplyDelete
  26. New idea.. Lemme give this a try
    http://dailychoresrecorded.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so delicious...Nevre tried pongal with rava..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Madam,
    Photo is tempting.
    Kindly let me know what about Salt for test and chopped green chilly or red chilly powder.
    shrikant tillu

    ReplyDelete
  29. Me too planning to post but slightly diff from urs. Looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. looking so yummy..i love the background color...

    ReplyDelete
  31. My fav Pongal,loved it at any time...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My fav pongal and my dad love's it a lot... absolutely yumm :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. very creative and delicious!!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Breakfast
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  34. I so so love this rava pongal now seeing it am craving for it right now that right after having my dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for the recipe, i am going to try it out right now

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bhama

    Hi I loved your rava pongal and would like to see and try some more ite,s.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm buvana. I like your rava pongal receipe

    ReplyDelete
  38. Is rava 1/2 cup or 1.5 cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 1/2 cup rava - 1.5 cup is 1 and 1/2 cup

      Delete
  39. Looks Yummy...beautiful pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Searched the recipe from your website and tried this recipe It came out very well.Thank you very much for this recipe.
    Krithiga S
    www.srikri.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Excellent. Very simple way of guidance. The photos are adding further guidance. Continue your good work for our sake.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have already tried this recipe of yours.. It was a super hit... Am trying it today once again... Lets see

    ReplyDelete