Wednesday, February 23, 2011

KATHIRIKKAI RASAVANGI RECIPE

BRINJAL RASAVNGI.
         This is the first time i am trying this rasavangi and i got the recipe from my mom during my visit to chennai last year. It came out very nice and i am sharing this  authentic recipe with you all.
Also check out my

Kathirikkai rasavangi
INGREDIENTS
BRINJALS 5-6 NO.
TOOR DHAL (COOKED) 1 CUP
TAMARIND WATER 3/4CUP
URAD DHAL 1 TBLSP
CHANNA DAL 1/2 TBLSP
CORIANDER SEEDS(DHANIA) 1 TBLSP
COCONUT (GRATED) 2 TBLSP
REDCHILLI 4 NO
SAMBHAR POWDER 2TSP
SALT AS NEEDED
TUMERIC POWDER A PINCH
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
JAGGERY 1/4 TSP
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/2 TSP
OIL 1 TSP
IMG_5672
METHOD:

  • Slit the brinjals lengthwise and soak it in water(to retain the colour)
slit brinjals
  • Soak the tamarind in warm water for 10 minutes and extract water from that .
  • In a kadai, add 1/2 tsp of oil and throw in the urad dhal, coriander seeds,redchilli and channa dal.
  • Fry until it turns into a nice golden brown colour.
  • Allow it to cool and grind it into a fine paste along with coconut.
masla paste
  • Heat the kadai and add the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds.
  • When it splutters add the brinjals to this.
  • Saute for a minute and add the tamarind water,sambhar powder,turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida to this.
IMG_5658
  • Allow this to boil for 7-9 minutes till the brinjal gets cooked.
  • When it is done add the cooked toor dhal.
  • Now add the ground paste to the rasavangi.
  • If the mixture is thick add 1/2 cup of water to that and bring it to a nice boil.
IMG_5663
  • Add the jaggery to this  and switch off the flame.
  • Mix nicely and add curry leaves to this.
  • Serve hot  with rice.
kathirikkai rasavangi

40 comments:

  1. Great preparation of Dal and brinjal. Excellent recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rasavangi itself is new to me...havent tasted it..ur version sounds tempting. Liked the first click

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make rasavangi similar way,but never tried with my favorite veggie,its always ashgourd! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious post..jay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Rasavangi... and very divine with rice.. looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious looking curry.Good with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks yumm..my grandmom made this during my india visit last time..loved it..very similar to pitlai..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only made chow chow rasavangi before and we love it.. must try your version and with brinjals... looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never made it....it looks tempting...I m sure it would taste gr8 wid rice..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. New for me and looks way too gud ..Im going to try this and soon....thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite and my mom adds kozhambu vadaam in this. Real exotic dish

    ReplyDelete
  12. new for me jeya....tempting click!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this very much but do not add jaggery ,rest is the same.Lovely pic

    ReplyDelete
  14. We make this often and this remains one of my husband's fav south indian dish. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only one time i had this,searching for the recipe...Urs sounds too gud.Will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am an addict to this gravy, my mom's signature dish..Urs looks soooo wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dint get a chance to make this becoz my hubby dont like this :( U made me drool... I must try for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. its new to me...looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mom's recipies are always the best:)....looks very good and inviting:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very delicious but never tried this before. Thanks for sharing dear..

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. creamy yummy curry..loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very new recipe for me..sounds really delicious!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard lot about this dish, never tasted one' looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. very interesting recipe...I will have to give it a go..:D
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  25. another traditional recipe...great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this..but have never tried..bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. brinjal curry looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice recipe..I never tried this rasavangi...Luv to have the brinjals curry with anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ahhhhhhhhha yepadi itha miss panen..love love it..absolutely great and divin with Rice

    ReplyDelete
  30. The dish looks very inviting! Never heard about the recipe though but your great presentation makes me want to try it out sometime soon:-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great recipe..must be a great pair with rice

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jeyashri, your rasavangi looks A class! I can taste its yumminess from the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Delcious rasa vangi,with brinjal i usually add chick peas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi jeyashri
    i made this n liked it a lot.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. I prepared this by cutting the Brinjal into dices (small pieces) and more chillies.It had come out wonderful. (as told by my friends) Thank you Ms Jeyashri !!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. 3/ 4 th cup tamarind water from what size tamarind ball? Can you please tell me Jeya?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for your prompt reply.


    ReplyDelete