Monday, July 25, 2011

MALAI KOFTA RECIPE-SIDE DISH FOR ROTI

malai-kofta
Malai kofta is a very rich and delicious gravy and normally i don’t make this very often at my home ,but this time i made this for my friends’s familly who joined us for dinner last week. Though i have tried this a few times, this time it was too perfect and confidently i can blog it this time.
Also try out
INGREDIENTS:
FOR KOFTAS:
POTATO(BOILED AND GRATED) 1 CUP
PANEER(SCRAMBLED) 1/2 CUP
GREEN CHILLI 2 NO
CORIANDER POWDER 1/2 TSP
REDCHILLI POWDER 1/2 TSP
MAIDA/ALL PURPOSE FLOUR 1 TBLSP
SALT TO TASTE
OIL FOR DEEP FRYING
FOR GRAVY:
ONION 2 NO
TOMATO 3 NO
GINGER GARLIC PASTE 1 TSP(OPTIONAL)
REDCHILLI POWDER 1 TSP
CAHEW NUT POWDER 2 TBLSP
CORIANDER POWDER 1/2 TSP
KITCHEN KING MASALA 1/4 TSP
GARAM MASALA 1/4 TSP
WATER 1 CUP
OIL 2 TBLSP
CREAM/MILK 1/2 CUP
CORIANDER LEAVES FEW TO GARNISH
SALT TO TASTE

malai-kofta
METHOD:

  • Mix  the ingredients in the kofta table except oil.
  • Make it into small lemon sized balls.
IMG_7700 IMG_7702
  • Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry it in  oil till golden brown and drain in a kitchen towel.
  • The texture of the koftas will be very soft.
  • This quantity yielded 14 koftas of this size.(see pic below)
IMG_7705 IMG_1165
  • Chop the onions and tomatoes into very pieces.
  • In a kadai add oil and add ginger garlic paste(if using) and cook till the raw smell goes and throw in the onions and saute till it turns into a nice golden brown colour.
IMG_7711
  • Add the tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy.
IMG_7714 IMG_7715
  • Switch off the flame and allow the onion tomato mixture to cool down.
  • Grind it into a smooth paste .
  • Grind the cashew into a fine powder.
  • In a kadai add the ground onion tomato masala and cashew nut powder.I didn’t fry the cashews, just grind it in the mixie to make it a powder.
  • Do not grind it for a long time, just quickly powder it , otherwise it will be soggy at it will leave the fat. 
  • Add the redchilli powder, coriander powder , garam masala and kitchen king masala to this.
IMG_1170-1
  • Mix well and add a cup of water to this.
  • Allow this to boil for 4-5 minutes in a low flame.
  • Add milk/ cream at this stage.
  • I used full cream milk as i didn’t get cream on that day.
  • While serving heat up the gravy nicely and add the koftas to this.
  • Ganish with coriander leaves.
  • Serve with roti/naan/jeera rice.
malai-kofta
NOTE:
  1. The ratio of potato and paneer should be 1:1/2. If you add too much of paneer them the koftas will break.
  2. Alternatively you can make the koftas in the paniyaram pan to avoid deep frying.
  3. Instead of adding cream you can mix 2 tblsp of scrambled paneer with 1/2 cup of full cream milk in a mixer , and use it . this gives an amazing taste and texture.
  4. These koftas stayed in the gravy for 4 hours.
  

53 comments:

  1. Koftas r always my fav.. n this is sure yumm

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my most favorite one..looks delicious..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my fav...I can have the koftas just like that too :) Looks yummy n creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malai kofta.. looks so sinful..I have never had the courage to make koftas.. yours looks so perfect and delcious

    ReplyDelete
  5. If u give it to me now i wud be obliged :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks absolutely mouthwatering :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malai Koftas are my favorite...These look so yum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so creamy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!!perfect kofta curry for roti....lovely click jeya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowwww... i love these...i used to order this from a punjabi restaurent when we where in Pune.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tempting koftas in a mouthwatering gravy!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh yummy koftas. Too good a combination with rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so creamy and yummy dear... Would love to have the koftas as a snack...

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG... super rich side dish... Inviting clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too eat the kofta alone no need any roti/rice...Pls pls Pass them:)

    Cute Presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love making this when we have guests too.. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect side dish for rotis.. looks absolutely inviting.. thanks for sharing dear :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Total restuarant style ~ Love this very much!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy creamy malai kofta curry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the creamy malai kofta...Perfect combination to chapthi, pooris...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Jaishree did miss many of ur yummy posts too will soon try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Koftas look tempting...never made them...ur curry looks creamy and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love malai kofta. They are so delicious and so good with roti or rice. Yours looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I make the very same base for all the rich curries...and this malai kofta is my favorite...very delicious

    ReplyDelete
  25. awesome dear....perfect....koftas are my fav

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very creamy and fantastic side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  27. malai koftas looks simply delicious.. perfectly made and presented...yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice step by step instructions. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  29. One of my fav ....there was a time when I use to order this everytime I go out ....looks so yum

    ReplyDelete
  30. Browsing the web of blogs, I ended up here in yours.
    I love your blog: Recipes, graphics, all the interesting content.
    I have added to your followers so you do not lose more sight.
    If you like,come in my blog... you're welcome.
    Excuse my English, I'm Italian
    La Magica Zucca

    ReplyDelete
  31. Malai Kofta looks beautiful and delicious! A very nice dish for roti varieties!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks fantastic, making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is one my very fav and top list in gravy list..looks too good and very much tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rich n creamy curry!

    ReplyDelete
  35. My favourite and perfect looking koftas. Shall I come there for having it.?

    ReplyDelete
  36. My daughter`s fav, looks delicious!
    It an elaborate process but worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  37. My daughter`s fav, looks delicious!
    It an elaborate process but worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Delicious malai kofta,looks so yummy and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow.w. I love malai kofta.. Looks so yummy.. Perfect for rotis :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Malai Kofta looks yummy .. perfect with rotis .. love the pictures too.

    First time here and happy to follow your wonderful blog.

    I am having a giveaway in my blog. Do check it out when you get a chance.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am not a big fan of koftas. but by looking at your pictures they are tempting. Looks very restaurant style. Love the recipe.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  42. Malai Koftas are my fav too loved your version looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow... One of my all time favorites... Thanks for sharing this..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Never tried this famous recipe,looks so rich and yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  45. hi jeyashree
    i made this for the first time...n my husband loved it....it came out yummy...i didnt know it s easy to make...thanks a lot...it s very yummy.
    jayanthi

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Jeyashri, I made your malai kofta recipe and it came out great. I made the koftas in paniyaram pan. Thanks for the recipe!
    -Nandini

    ReplyDelete
  47. Balls mabe of instant gulabjamun mix can also be used as loft as

    ReplyDelete
  48. i tried out the recipe and it was sooo yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I tried it out and it turned tasty .. My hubby liked it ... Never knew malai kofta was so simple to make .. Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  50. Can malai kofta be served with Missi roti ???

    ReplyDelete