Monday, January 6, 2014

ORANGE PEEL PACHADI RECIPE

Orange- Peel -Pachadi
Orange peel pachadi is a traditional and authentic dish made at home . I have heard from my mom that my gradmother(father's mom) makes this so well and she makes for my mom when she was pregnant with my sister. I have not made this or had this as i don't like it much. During my recent trip to India, I saw my mom peeling oranges and when i asked her she told me that she is going to make the pachadi. I immediately took my camera and clicked the entire process . Though i don't like it much during my childhood days, i liked it this time along with Vathal kuzhambhu rice. 
The pictures didn't turn out well as the sunlight was bit harsh and i don't have much time to wait and click.

Ingredients
Orange Peel Pachadi

  Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 15Mins |   Yields : 1 cup

    Orange Peel   From 2 Oranges
    Green chilli  2-3
    Tamarind Water 2 cups (thin extract)
    Turmeric powder  1/2 tsp
    Sambar powder    1 and 1/2 tsp
    Jaggery 1/4 cup
   Red chilli 1
    Oil 2 tsp
    Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
    Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
    Curry leaves few
   Salt As needed



Orange+peel+pachadi

Method:
  • Take out the skin of 2 Oranges. 
  • Cut them into thin stripes. Cut the green chilies
Orange peel Cut orange peel

  • In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds,curry leaves, asafoetida and red chilli.
  • Add the green chilies and the cut orange peel. Saute for a minute in medium flame.
Oil Add orange peel
  • Add the tamarind extract taken from small lemon sized tamarind.
  • Add sambar powder, turmeric powder, jaggery and salt.
Add tamarind add sambar powder
  • Allow this to boil in a medium flame. Let this mixture become a  semi thick gravy and the orange ppels would have cooked by now.
orange peel pachadi orange pachadi
  • Switch off the flame. Transfer it to a serving bowl.
  • This orange pachadi can be stored in a refrigerator for a  week.
  • A best combo for curd rice too.
Orange thol pachadi

12 comments:

  1. picture nalla dhan jey irukku. never heard this .... have to ask amma :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pachadi with orange peels sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true..We even make stirfry using rawbanana peel. Like all the traditional recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought of something like this!!! I always considered peels useless in cooking :( Lovely this looks...

    See ya sometime @ www.cookingwithsj.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recipe sounds great no matter how the picture looks:).Happy new year wishes to u n ur family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. best way to use the peels... nice post dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pulikachal..the orange peel gives it a nice zesty flavor...We love to have with our molagootal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorful and lovely looking orange peel pachadi. Wonderfully taken pics.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me. But looks really colorful..

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks lovely! And no wastage... wow!

    ReplyDelete