Monday, December 3, 2012

RASAM POWDER RECIPE | HOME MADE RASAM POWDER RECIPE

   My mom always make rasam with home made sambar powder, so also follow the same. Even my mil also make it same but she will add freshly ground pepper and jeera powder to give an extra flavour. But i remember my mom makes separate rasam powder as my Dad is a huge fan of rasam. but after my dad amma started making rasam with sambar powder only. But yet it will be very flavorful and awesome.
rasam powder
When a reader asked me for the recipe of homemade rasam powder i asked my mom but she couldn’t recall the proportion for spices she use and finally my sister told the recipe for rasam powder.
INGREDIENTS: (YIELDS APPROX. 1/2 CUP)
TOORDAL 2 TBLSP
BLACK PEPPER 1 TBLSP
RED CHILLI 5
VENDAYAM(FENUGREEK SEEDS) 1/2 TSP
CUMIN SEEDS 1 AND 1/2 TSP
CORIANDER SEEDS 1 AND 1/2 TBLSP
rasam powder

METHOD:
  • Dry roast all the ingredients in a medium low flame till they get evenly browned.
  • Allow this to cool and grind in a mixer into a fine powder.
  • after some time store this in a air tight container.
rasam powder step 2 rasam powder step 1
  • If making rasam for 4 people use 1- 1 and 1/2 tsp of this rasam powder.
  • For Tomato Rasam recipe click Here.
  • Even you can make Mysore Rasam too.
For my readers who asked for my version of sambar powder  will keep posted in the new year as i am running out of stock of my home made sambar powder. Will bring enough once i am back from my vacation.
rasam powder     

35 comments:

  1. Love rasam...I always get my stock of rasam podi from my mom...Like your version and the click

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice rasam powder , always home made are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Rasam Powder Jeyashri.

    www.iyercooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade are always perfect...Nice post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always homemade is best, I instantly prepare the rasam powder n love ur version...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very flavorful .....nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy to know that u are having vaccation ! let us know if there is chennai plan ! Home made rasam reminds me my mother rasam !

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom makes rasam powder fresh when cooking it...I have been doing the same but for my busy schedule I should make in advance and store it...Tq for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too use the ing but i dont roast them .. It smells awesome.. Will try roasting them.. Lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice one jey.. I am also having it in my draft as I got the recipe from my mum! I always use her home made one! urs look good too..
    Http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. like u,even at my mom's place sambar and rasam powder r same..at my mil's place we make rasam powder similarly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your pics as usual!!! they are so tempting!!! Love the red tumbler in which you have pictured the rasam powder - yum yumm!!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour
    Ongoing Event - Eggless Bakes and Treats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool this time my patti gave me her rasam powder ... Heavenly:) nice click Jey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Homemade is always best...looks very flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade rasam powder,nothing will beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. like that cute bowl :) very flavorful powder..

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow..homemade is best...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Home made powders are alw the best..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two tips....
    Instead of dry roasting them before, grind them without roasting and add them to the ghee (while tempering).
    Try avoiding the methi seeds.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, This is the method we follow at our place and hence shared.

      Delete
  20. I love this Jeyashri. Love the beautiful clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. homemade spice powders are the best, flavorful...nice pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. flavorful powder,i can feel the aroma from here:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Flavor packed useful spice powder...

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice clicks.. hv to try this at home..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Homemade are best cant beat it.Lovely click.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of the Bestest food blog. perfect measurements. FAntastic

    ReplyDelete
  27. this was a huge hit...my husband (who isn't a big fan of my cooking) loved the rasam that I made using this podi. much thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a HUGE hit! My husband, who isn't a big fan of my cooking, LOVED the rasam I made using this podi. Thank you so so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete