Friday, April 12, 2013

VEPAMPOO RASAM|TAMIL NEW YEAR RECIPE

Vepampoo raam (Neem flower rasam)is a must one in the Tamil new year recipe menu. My mom just add ghee roasted vepampoo in the usual tomato rasam but my mil makes a simple vepampoo rasam without any dal. In my in laws place we make Vepampoo rasam once in 2 weeks during weekends. After coming here, i never made as i didn’t find neem flowers here. Few weeks back, Raks shared with me a good amount of vepampoo (dried neem flowers) and i made this vepampoo rasam . So i am sharing the recipe of vepampoo rasam .

The rasam will not taste bitter, but if u bite the neem flowers it will give a slight bitter taste.

Vepampoo rasam +neem flower rasam

INGREDIENTS:

DRIED NEEM FLOWERS 2 TBLSP
THIN TAMARIND EXTACT 1 CUP
GHEE FEW DROPS
OIL 1/4 TSP
RED CHILLI 5-6
MUSTARD 1/4 TSP
TOOR DAL 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
TURMERIC POWDER A PINCH
JAGGERY A SMALL PIECE
CURRY LEAVES FEW
SALT AS NEEDED

Vepampoo Rasam 2

METHOD:

  • In a pan, add ghee and roast the neem flowers. Roast till they become golden colour and be careful not to burn it.
  • Keep it aside.

vepampoo rasam

  • In the same pan, add oil mustard seeds and add the red chiili and toor dal.when the dal changes color add the tamarind water , turmeric powder,salt and asafoetida.
vepampoo rasam rasam
  • Let this boil in a medium flame for few minutes.(7-9 minutes)
  • Add the jaggery(powdered)
  • Switch off the flame and add the roasted neem flowers.

Vepampoo rasam 1

Note:

  1. Do not boil the rasam after adding the neem flowers.

26 comments:

  1. That's super flavored rasam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take only in the new year day :) as amma compelled me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this very healthy and medicinally rich rasam... so yummy and so aromatic and so flavorful!!!
    Sowmya
    Event - Celebrate - Summer
    Event - Bake Fest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy one... But will it have the bitterness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No revathi, if u bite the neem flowers only it will taste little bitter, else rasam will be nice

      Delete
  5. very healthy n flavourful rasam....Loves the same ways as Amma prepares for us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have heard of this rasam but havent tried it myself...looks very flavourful

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite these days! Love it, very easy and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Authentic n never forget on Tamil New Year....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of trying with dried one will try

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks awesome n delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is new to me, looks very delicious jeyashri!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this healthy rasam, i got finally my dry neem flowers recently from my mom,have to make this rasam soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jesharee, yummy rasam and really nice pics! Very tempting and makes me miss my Mum! I used to turn up my nose at it every year until I left home. Now, I cannot get enough of it and my daughter turns her nose up at it :) I guess that is comeuppance. Thanks for sharing the recipe with pics and that too in time for the New year. Tamil putthandu vazhthukkal and happy Vishu/Ugadhi to you, your readers and all your families.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healthy rasam,I also bought to make rasam n pachadi:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and flavorful rasam...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never tried this one....Looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Healthy n yum ...Advance New Year wishes to you n family

    ReplyDelete
  18. very simple recipie....my grandma used to make this rasam during our visit to her in summer vacations...will try for my kid today. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I visited Madras, I bought some from Ambika Stores. You have to wash them and then dry it. I brought a pound of it! Stick it in a ziplock bag and declare it as dried spices. My gateway was Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  20. did u mean chana dal or toor dal?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want very good digestive Rasam recipe as well name can you please inform that

    ReplyDelete