Monday, April 1, 2013

KARUVEPPILAI THOKKU | CURRY LEAVES THOKKU

Few days back one of my friend made this karuveppilai thokku and when she visited me on the same day she packed me some karuvepillai thokku and it tasted awesome with plain rice and with Curd Rice too. Also this thokku goes well with dosa and chapathi too. It is perfect long travel too. As usual i noted down the recipe from and tried it on the very next day and it turned out like the same thokku which she has given me. So lets us learn today how to make karuveppilai Thokku.
Check out my curry leaves chutney too.
Karuvepillai Thokku 3
INGREDIENTS: [ YIELDS 1 AND 1/2 CUP]
CURRY LEAVES 2 CUPS (LOOSELY PACKED)
CHANNA DAL 4 TSP
CORIANDER SEEDS 4 TSP
RED CHILLI 8-9
ASAFOETIDA 1/4 TSP
SALT AS NEEDED
TURMERIC POWDER 1/4 TSP
TAMARIND EXTRACT 3/4  CUP
JAGGERY A SMALL PIECE
SESAME OIL 1/4 CUP
Curry leaves thokku 2
METHOD:
  • Wash the curry leaves and pat dry them.
  • In a pan,add channa dal, coriander seeds , red chilli and the curry leaves and roast this till the dal turns brown. roast in a medium low flame without burning it.
Curry leaves thokku curryleaves thokku 2
  • Switch off the flame and add asafoetida and salt.
  • allow this to cool. Make this into fine powder in a mixer.
  • Take thick extract of tamarind water by soaking a small gooseberry size tamarind in hot water.
curry leaves 3 curry leaves 4
  • In a pan add oil and add the tamarind water and add the ground curry leaves powder to this.
  • Add salt,tamarind water and jaggery.
  • Keep the flame low and let this comes to a thokku consistency.(semi thick)
  • Stir it in between.
curry leaves 6
  • This can be stored in the refrigerator for 10 days. always use clean spoon dry spoon.
  • this tastes well with rotis too.
  Karuveppilai Thokku     

25 comments:

  1. I can bet this would have tasted great....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well go withcurd rice sometimes i take as such ! or roll it in dosai and haveit ! good click

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so yummy. Perfect for curd rice.. I do it also.. easy way to include curry leaves as part of our diet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect healthy thokku,yumm:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice...great with anything for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot Rice with thokku and some chips/appalam, i m settled for the day!!! :) Looks awesome n Mouth-watering clicks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks tempting...good combo for curd rice..lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome, you have done it very well..

    ReplyDelete
  9. A prefect pair for curd rice,love it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recipe & great clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks too good Jeyahsri....Must have been really fragrant and flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loove this as a side for rice..was having it for the first time after i got married . my mil used to make it..she stil does make n keep some for me each time we go down for vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was super yummy, I enjoyed each and every pinch of it you gave me :) Ah! good to have a food blogger friend ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious and very inviting... I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog... http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I buy from grand sweets..but too much oil...good to make it at home..

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!! I'm sure it would have tasted yum! I'm drooling here...

    ReplyDelete
  17. good color iam going to try this now

    ReplyDelete
  18. is there any replacement for jaggery?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it.. I have book marked it.. will try soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Typical Pathiyam recipe. Nice one Jey.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this method too. I'l give a try. Till now i used thoku from Shanthi ji's blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent thokku. We used to do in the same way. It is very good for health. Kariveppilai content lot if iron and other minerals. It has medicinal value. Keep rocking jey.

    ReplyDelete