Wednesday, September 14, 2011

LAUKI KHEER | BOTTLEGOURD KHEER RECIPE

     Lauki|Sorrakai in tamil is a veggie which we use for making kootu. I never know that we can make sweet out of this veggies, till i tasted lauki halwa at my friend’s place. Then she told that we can make Lauki kheer too. Since this was interesting i wanted to give it a try and to my surprise this turned out so yummy and here comes the  recipe:
Also try out my


lauki kheer
INGREDIENTS:
LAUKI 1/2 NO
MILK 1 LITRE
CONDENSED MILK 1/4 CUP
SUGAR 2 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)
GHEE 1 TBLSP
SAFFRON FEW STRANDS
CARDAMON POWDER A PINCH
lauki kheer
METHOD:


  • Peel the skin of the bottle gourd and scoop out the seeds.
  • Grate them and squeeze out the water from this.
IMG_2783 IMG_2788
  • In a kadai add the ghee and saute this grated squeezed bottle gourd for 3-5 mins in a low flame.
IMG_2787 IMG_2790
  • Keep it aside. Boil the milk and reduce it to 3/4 th of the quantity.
  • Add condensed milk and stir well.
  • Add the grated bottle gourd to the milk mixture and let this boil in milk for 10 minutes in a low flame.
IMG_2781 IMG_2792
  • Switch off the flame and add sugar (if using) and cardamom powder . Stir well.
  • Garnish with few saffron strands.
  • Serve chilled.
bottle gourd kheer
Sending this kheer to the event started by Nivedita and hosted by Rak's Kitchen.
Celebrate Sweets Event - Rak's Kitchen_thumb[8]
I am sending  my Carrot Kheer and Pineapple Kesari to the same event. Click on the picture for the recipe.
carro kheer
pineapple kesari

31 comments:

  1. Yummy kheer ..Innovative idea with lauki..lovely presentation n lovely platter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creamy rich kheer :) Its sure a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! who'd have guessed lauki can be used for kheer - very innovative dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kheer looks ro rich and creamyyy.. Good idea having lauki in kheer and I'm sure it wud be loved by all.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a yummy kheer.. I too make this... Lauki kind of blends in the kheer right...
    Krithi's Kitchen
    Event: Serve It - Steamed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,this is so new to me,I loved it! Pretty clicks too!And thanks for sending the beautiful entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom often make this n we all love it very much , your stunning pics are making me crave for some!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kheer looks so delicious and creamy.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy and creamy kheer. Last week only I saw this in a TV show. Sooo rick and wonderful clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!interesting kheer...surely will try it!nice click jeya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like lauki halwa than the kheer ...hardly make this ...looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very new to me. Its looking creamy and rich :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have heard abt this kheer from my friend..but havent tasted it..looks so delicious..yummy too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious kheer,Healthy too...very nice presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy kheer and heard about this before and easy to prepare.Sure will try once.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mouthwatering Kheer...Looks very rich and creamy

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovley looking kheer never made with lauki still, I keep thinking I want to make it, but, as my family don't like too much sweets I don't make lot of sweets, beautiful clicks and lovely presentation

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy so so good.. wonderful idea..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice way to make kids eat veggies...Looks so tempting kheer..

    We too used to make halwa with this veggie...Tastes so good....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummyyy!!!! So creamy & luscious!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful looking kheer, super rich and inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow cake looks gorgeous and great decoration...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful looking kheer, super rich and inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so want to have a bowlfull of this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummy looking kheer looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love lauki ki kheer

    ReplyDelete
  27. Slurrrp!!! looks yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've made halwa with this but never kheer.. looks great!

    ReplyDelete