Monday, June 18, 2012

PULI AVAL (UPMA)RECIPE |TAMARIND POHA

   I am just back after 2 weeks break and still not in a mood to enter into the kitchen and to add up my friends are pampering me to take rest and sending me food for the past 2 days. So finally today i made a simple breakfast with aval| poha| rice flakes, which my mom makes very often. I have already posted a similar kind of puli upma with rice flour. Click Here for the recipe. This is a easy breakfast recipe and can be made in a jiffy.

I thank all my fellow bloggers who visited my space in my absence and commented on my recipes. Soon I will catch up with all the yummy recipes which i missed out.

puli aval

THICK POHA 1 CUP
THICK TAMARIND EXTRACT 4-5 TBLSP
OIL 2 TSP
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/4 TSP
URAD DAL 1/4 TSP
CHANNA DAL 1/4 TSP
PEANUTS 1- 2 TBLSP
RED CHILLI 2 NO
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
TURMERIC POWDER A PINCH
SALT AS NEEDED
PULI AVAL
  • Wash the poha | aval and drain the water.
  • Make a thick extract from a small goose berry sized tamarind . I used the Store bought tamarind paste( 1 tsp)
  • If using tamarind paste, mix this well with 4 tblsp of water.
IMG_3515 IMG_3516
  • Add this to the washed poha and mix evenly.
IMG_3517 IMG_3518

  • In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal, peanuts and red chilli .
  • When the mustard seeds splutter and the dals turn brown.
  • Add in the turmeric powder , salt and asafoetida.
IMG_3519 IMG_3523

  • Add the tamrind poha mixture to this and mix gently.
  • If you feel it is dry just sprinkle few drops of water.
  • Garnish with curry leaves.
IMG_3525 IMG_3527

  • Always serve this hot with roasted papad.

puli aval

26 comments:

  1. Adding tamrind in poha is new to me will try out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very tasty.. yummy yum..

    ReplyDelete
  3. New to me... Will try this soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this too we love it..love that bowl..so nice of your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome back dear...Adding tamarind is new to me...Shall try it next time..Glad that you have caring friends..

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother too makes this kind of poha and I love her preparation...Your version looks very good..Nice clicks.
    Hope you had a wonderful vacation..glad to have you back

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious dear...inviting you to join Street Party Food event in my blog.Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious breakfast recipe. the same i make with lemon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. puli aval looks just like puliyodarai! nice pics!! minnal madhiri post panreenga! Keep the energy up always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be similar to tamarind rice, which is my favorite :) Looks lovely and hope you are fine :)

    Participate & win prizes
    The Master Chef Contest
    You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  12. very tasty looking rice preparation. nice one

    ReplyDelete
  13. poha is a regular fix at home but this is something new. looks fanatastic and adding tamarind takes it to another notch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wat a super tempting aval upma, take enough rest and enjoy Jeya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My fav. one pass me the bowl. Love your clicks.I too have gojju avalakki karntaka style in my drafts, will post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious!

    http://www.followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks tasty i like aval.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My all time favorite... Love this....

    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks like a perfect breakfast! lovely clicks too!

    We launched http://www.veganchutney.com/ a photo gallery of Indian Vegan food. Please do drop by to submit your indian and vegan recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never tried the tamarind in our Poha. Gonna ask mum to do that today! Lovely pics, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  21. jeyashree this s a nice variation from normal aval upma....good combination....will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow..this is very good recipe...I will try it soon.
    Cosmetic Surgery India

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi..Nice Poaha recipe..nice touch to poha by adding Tamarind Extract.
    One suggestion: Can You specify no of servings in your every recipe? So tht we can adjust the quantity accordingly.Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete