Wednesday, July 24, 2013

GODHUMA DOSA RECIPE | INSTANT WHEAT DOSA RECIPE | SOUTH INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPES


Godhumai dosa or Wheat dosa is made at my mom’s place almost 2-3 days a week. Those days we don’t make much of chapathis and even it is made once a month. My dad hates to eat rotis and being a diabetic and also a die hard fan of these wheat dosa, my mom makes this often. After i got married at my in laws place, they don’t make wheat dosa more but chapathis are made often. So i have never tried Godhumai dosai after marriage. Last week when my mom was here i suddenly remembered about this Instant wheat dosa and asked my mom to make for me, so that i can also learn from her. She gave the instructions and i made the batter and she showed me how to make godhuma dosai and after few trial and error i also made Crispy wheat dosais. We had with Onion chutney and it was a perfect combo.
Wheat dosai
INGREDIENTS: MAKES APPROX 10- 12 DOSAS
WHEAT FLOUR 2 CUPS
WATER 4 CUPS
JEERA 1/2 TSP
RED CHILLI 2
SALT AS NEEDED
MUSTARD 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
OIL AS NEEDED
CURRY LEAVES FEW (OPTIONAL)
godhumai dosai
METHOD:
  • In a vessel add the wheat flour. With your fingers mash the jeera, curry leaves and salt and add it to the flour. Amma always does this as it will bring our the flavours of jeera and curry leaves . If you want u can add the jeera as it is and chop the curry leaves and put.
  • In a small pan, add a tsp of oil and add the mustard seeds,asafoetida and red chillies.when it splutters put off the flame an add it to the wheat flour.
wheat dosai wheat dosai
  • Add water to this slowly and mix without any lumps. the batter should be bit thinner than the regular dosa batter.
dosai maavu dosai maavu
  • Heat a tawa , i used my non stick tawa. Pour the batter in a circular motion and smear some oil around it.
  • Cook in a medium low flame else it if kept in high flame it will get burnt. and will not get cooked.
  • Flip on the other side and cook till it becomes crispy.
Dosai dosai
  • Always serve hot. Else it will be bit soggy.
Wheat-dosai
Note:
  1. If you want you can add very finely chopped onions to the batter before making the dosa.
  2. Always ensure that the batter is thin, else the dosa will be thick like adai.
  3. You can add 1/4 cup of rice flour or idli |dosa batter to this .

29 comments:

  1. They are the best.. Loved as a kid when mom used to make.. Now very rare though..feeling nostaligic..

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these dosas,looks nice and crisp..coincidentally I am preparing the same for lunch 2day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also used to make the spicy version same as urs n also do sweet version mixing jaggery or sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love gothambu dosa. Looks delicious and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby's fav.. nice cliks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its my go to recipe when I am out of time. nice one

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is my quick fix recipe for dinner ....instant and easy dosa recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make such instant dosais very often especially during weekend dinners...love them..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instant Dosa's are life Saviours!!! Godhumai dosa looks very inviting and tempting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tats a fmly fav ...love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of thing that I make on lazy week night ...looks so yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do it also but add a 2 tablespoon of rice flour.. Perfect for tiring day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of my grand mother. She used to always ask us to make this for us when she comes to stay with us. Her recipe includes a table spoon of rice flour too, but the rest is the same. I must say the wheat dosai brings fond memories for me and it looks awesome on the banana leaf. I must try this one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prepare gothumai dosa similarly too.. Love these when had warm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dosa preparation looks so tempting.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dosa looks so yummy and fresh..great with onion chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its a must in our home too, but still H dont like this dosas,love them with coconut chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A must at my place at least once a week.. Awesomly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks too good...has come out perfect Jey!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The onion chutney in the photo luks yummy. Can you pls give us the receipe for it. I couldn't find it in the chutney section.

    ReplyDelete
  21. loved this one dear....will definitely try..

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is just a fantastic site with so many recipes and easy to follow instructions on a variety of vegetarian items. This is my handy site nowadays and a real-time guide as I cook for me and my children. profound thanks to Jayashri.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What will be the good combination for godhumai dosai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onion chutney, coconut chutney and tiffin sambar will be a good combo

      Delete
  24. Thank u for ur recipes..I was following 6month...godhumai dosa very nice indeed try rdy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is mustard or red chillies necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's optional, but we generally add it at home as the wheat flour dosa will be bland.

      Delete