Wednesday, July 31, 2013

PURAN POLI RECIPE | PARRUPU POLI RECIPE

POLI WITH CHANNA DAL POORNAM

puran-poli
Puran  Poli |Holige Obbattu is a traditional sweet generally we make during Aavani avittam, Bogi pandigai and some people make during Ganesha Chathurthi too. I have posted the recipe of THENGAI POLI already. During my mom’s visit here 2 weeks back i asked her to make puran poli for me and i wanted to learn the procedure of making kadala paruppu poornam which when i tried first time went wrong. My mom is a super expert in making polis and i still remember my childhood days, she and my grand mother used to make polis in bulk and they happily share with our neighbours too. Me and my sister with our friends used to sit outside the kitchen with plates in hand and hot polis smeared with ghee are served on our plates. Those days we never care about the weight and eat heartily.
But now a days we are so diet conscious and nobody want to stuff themselves  with sweets.  This recipe yields 11 puran polis and finally i learnt the recipe of making kadalai paruppu poornam from mom , which you have already seen in my MODAKAM -WITH CHANNA DAL POORNAM post. Check out my carrot poli recipe with full Video.
UPDATE: As many readers faced issue while kneading the dough and the amount of oil used. As such the recipe is tried and tested at my home by me and my mom and given with precise measurements. But since i got feedback from readers, i wanted to check it out. Me and my mom tried this few times with the same measurements, and we had mixed results. Final inference is, the quantity of oil depends upon the texture of the flour. So first knead the dough with water and then add 3-4 tblsp of oil on the top of it and cover it and keep aside for 4-5 hours. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused . For the first time in these 8 years of blogging, changing the measurement of the recipe (only the quantity of oil) in the ingredients list. Sorry again.



INGREDIENTS: MAKES 11 POLIS
FOR OUTER DOUGH
MAIDA | ALL PURPOSE FLOUR 3/4 CUP
SALT A PINCH
TURMERIC POWDER A PINCH
OIL 3-4 TBLSP
WATER As needed
FOR STUFFING (POORNAM)
CHANNA DAL |KADALAI PARUPPU 1/2 CUP
JAGGERY 1/3 CUP
COCONUT ( SCRAPPED) 1/2 CUP
CARDAMOM POWDER A PINCH
GHEE 1/2 TSP ( OPTIONAL)
  poli with channa dal poornam 3

METHOD FOR MAKING OUTER DOUGH
  • Combine the maida, salt and turmeric powder. Add water and start  kneading the dough.
  • Make it into a slightly loose dough.
  • The dough should be soft not too tight.
  • Now add 3-4 tblsp of oil on the top and cover the dough..
flour dough
  • Keep it covered for 4-5 hours. The more the time it is kept aside the polis will be softer.
METHOD TO MAKE POORNAM:
  • Dry roast the channa dal for 5 minutes. Take care not to get it burnt.
  • Soak it in water for 1/2 an hour.
  • Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles. Completely drain the water.
  • Let this cool. Once cool, grind this in mixer along with coconut and cardamom powder.
  • Grind this smoothly. Add jaggery in the last and pulse once or twice.
  • Poornam is done. If you feel the mixture is bit watery, don’t worry. Add ghee in a pan and saute for 5 minutes in a low flame. The poornam will come to the right consistency.
  • When it is cool, divide it into 11 equal parts.
poornam for poli
Method to make polis
  • Divide the dough into 11 equal parts.
poli
  • Take a banana leaf , yes banana leaf works out well for polis. If not available use a zip lock, but you have to be careful while transferring it to the tawa., grease the banana leaf and place a portion of the dough on it.
  • Spread it with your fingers into a small disc and place the poornam on it.
poli poli
  • Close the edges.
  • With your fingers greased generously with sesame oil gently make polis and make it into a disc shaped one.
poli poli
  • Heat a tawa and keep it in a very low flame.
  • Slowly transfer the banana leaf onto the tawa and take it out gently.
poli steps poli
  • Cook on both sides and smear a tsp of ghee and repeat the same for rest of the dough and poornam.
poli obbatu
  • I have taken video from a mobile as i am not satisfied with the quality of the video.
  • Handling phone in one hand while making poli was too tough for me. And amma was bit scared to take the video too.
Click here for - VIDEO FOR MAKING POLI


Kadalai paruppu poli 1
NOTES:
  1. Adding oil after making the dough is compulsory.  Else polis will be hard and dry.
  2. The dough should  be bit loose, else it will be difficult for you to make polis.
  3. Let the poornam be stiff , if watery it will come out while making polis.

55 comments:

  1. These poli look so tempting and delicious. Too yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks tempting...craving to eat them now,just love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious poli, pass me here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly made polis, I wish I could taste it. Missed it,psst psst ;)
    Lovely clicks too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious Polis.. They look perfect.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tempting jey,just love them..craving them very badly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious they look.. Perfectly made polis.. Parcel plz!...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious and so perfectly done. Bookmarking and thank you for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious looking polis.. I love this one, such a tempting traditional sweet it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the making pics informative post

    ReplyDelete
  11. irresistible clicks of poli....truely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. love these.. suda suda poli wow i can imagine it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely poli.... Bookmarking it... Will try it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so perfectly done and ofcoz when mom doing it cant be wrong ..very tempting ..nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious one n my most favorite poli... Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love puran polis...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  17. perfect polis adn love the method you tried with banana leaf as we make this in home

    ReplyDelete
  18. My favorite..very tempting....awesome clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made made poli is always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. those clicks show how irresistibly yummy this dish is

    ReplyDelete
  21. poli looks incredibly so soft and delicious..super tempting clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh you are tempting me jeyashri....my all time fav

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely,try any time with wheat flour...followed you,would appreciate if you can follow me back and like my page on FB.
    http://kiransaboo.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  24. MMmmm....delicious looking poli...love it

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful Post . Bookmarked it

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one is my favorite poli..Looks very very tempting..nice clicks too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you mean to say, we have to knead the maida with oil only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost, if you want to get flaky polis you have add the amount of oil mentioned. If not it will come out hard .

      Delete
  28. how long it will stay outside (room temperature) in a airtight container ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will stay for a day in room temperature

      Delete
  29. Thank you for sharing the receipe. I tried it for ugadi, it came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. hai jeya shri madam, how are you? your receipes all of as good. nice explain for beginners. easy to understand for beginners. because, step by step explain for video explain pictures. thanks for your receipes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hv a doubt, adding the jaggery directly like with out removing the impurities!!! is ok? bks normally jaggery contains impurities!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm true but removing impurities in solid jaggery is not possible and also melting it and filtering the impurities and adding to channa dal mixture will make the poornam watery. So have to look for good quality vellam and make it

      Delete
    2. Actually 2-3 tsp of warm oil will do.. We can make the dough with water... It will be soft...

      Delete
  32. Hi jayashree,
    I have tried some of your recipes and felt great. That's why I tried your poli suggestion of kneading maida with just oil. Worst suggestion. I couldn't stuff the channa dhal. I made fresh maida with water.. It came out well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the message. This practise of kneading in oil is followed in our home for more than 30 years, Don't know where u went wrong.Will update a video of kneading flour sometime

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeyashri,

      I agree with Vegelicious. I tried kneading the flour with oil and it completely ruined it. I was able to make poli but they were very brittle. I binned the maida and kneaded again with water and with just 2 tablespoons of oil and the result was excellent. Thank you for the recipe anyway.

      Delete
    3. I will soon try this out again and post with video. As i said my mom generally makes likes this only.

      Delete
  33. Not quite sure what I did wrong. I thought I could roll the dough - but it keeps cracking. I have watched my mom make it we can actually pull the balls - they will be so sticky, This one I cannot even pat it and make it into a round.!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Jeyashri. Even I made the dough using oil only. It was very soft and it kept in breaking while making . Don't know where I went wrong. Very disappointed with the result. Has to make the dough with wheat flour. Was looking forward to get a good result as it is with most of your dishes which I have tried. Plz try and post the video of kneading the dough if u can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even i am wondering why this is happening. Will definitely update it with a video.

      Delete
  35. Hai jayashri.. In this recipe u mistakenly mentioned or misplaced the quantity of oil and water wrongly.. Pls correct it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it is not not written by mistake. the dough has to be made with oil only.

      Delete
  36. Can it be stored for a week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you want take it out , either microwave for a minute and serve or heat a pan and reheat this and serve.

      Delete
  37. Hi Jeyashri instead of maida regular wheat flour roti atta can be used without salt. Also we used to mix Chanadal and jaggery and cook in stove with little bit ghee. If it oozes lot of water I used to put in microwave and then put in mixer. Then fill it into regular atta and make. In Maharashtra it's a popular dish and I happened to live there for a decade so got to know this recepie from friends. I hope it was useful. Again thanks for your recepies it's very useful and here my Boston USA friends are all your fan and we follow your recepies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback poornima. I have posted the maharastian version of pooran poli too - http://www.jeyashriskitchen.com/2016/04/maharastrian-style-puran-poli-indian.html

      Delete
  38. Hi Jeyashree, I'm a big fan of your blog. I have tried many of your recipes n it was great in taste. As I live in New Jersey, USA I use aluminum foil to make poli instead of banana leaves. It's safe n easy to make polis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much nalini - you ca use zip lock too.

      Delete
  39. Can we make the poli purnam without coconut? Please guide as Ugadi is on 06/04/2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried skipping coconut, you can skip but ensure to make the consistency of the poornam thick. If you are diet conscious you can try dry fruits poli. Check out my recipe.

      Delete