Monday, July 1, 2013

KATHIRIKKAI PODI CURRY | BRINJAL PODI CURRY RECIPE

Without much introduction to the recipe, let me explain how to make Brinjal curry with freshly ground spices. Generally it is made by stuffing the spice powder into the brinjal, but since we like it this way more than the Stuffed Brinjal curry, I made it in this way. This Kathrikkai podi curry was lying in my drafts for more than 2  months i wanted to post this today. I have few more simple recipes lying in my draft which i will post in the following weeks and will post new recipes soon.

Brinjal podi curry

INGREDIENTS: SERVES 3 - 4

SMALL BRINJAL 10-12
OIL 2 TBLSP
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/4TSP
SALT TO TASTE
CURRY LEAVES FEW

INGREDIENTS: TO ROAST AND GRIND

CORIANDER SEED(DHANIA) 1 TBLSP
RED CHILLI 5-6
CHANNA DAL 1 TBLSP
URAD DAL 1 TSP
KOPRAI (DRY COCONUT) 2 TBLSP

Kathrikaai podi curry

METHOD:

  • Take out the top portion(paavadai) of the brinjal and cut the brinjals into slices.
  • Soak it in the water to avoid getting it black.
  • Roast all the ingredients under the table “Roast and Grind”into golden brown color.
  • Grind this into a fine powder.
Brinjal curry podi curry
  • In  a pan, add oil and mustard seeds and when it crackles add the brinjals (drain the water and add it)
  • Add salt, turmeric powder and this spice powder. Mix well and keep the flame medium low.
podi katrikkai Kathrikkai curry
  • Stir in between and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Once it gets cooked and roasted switch off the flame.

brinjal curry

  • Garnish with curry leaves . You can have this with plain hot rice smeared with ghee.

Kathrikkai curry

Check out my Simple brinjal curry and Stuffed Brinjal recipe too.

Note:

  1. You can make the powder in advance and store it in  an airtight container.
  2. always use the small purple variety of Brinjals for best results.

26 comments:

  1. eggplant in any form is welcome at my place. Will try this dry version of the eggplant soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...looks so yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too make this and love it with sambar rice and curd rice. yours look perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. simple and delicious curry..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the reflection in the last photo ! one of my fav brinjal recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks too good and tasty curry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, perfectly done! I love brinjal so much, that it always looks like halwa to me :D So all I could see is bowl full of halwa :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yum ...love this podi fry....

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum yum.....those brinjals are mouth watering..................

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite brinjal curries...my mom adds a little bit of tamarind too...nicely captured

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love brinjal in any form and podi curry is my top recipe with rice and ghee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks sooo yummm!! and this podi is the same whcih we use in enna katirikkai rite???

    ReplyDelete
  13. super yummy jeyashri....loved the way, you retained the natural colour of brinjal

    ReplyDelete
  14. A prefect pair for curd rice, droolworthy podi curry,my all time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks fabulous and droolworth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a fan of brinjal... But this tempts me....

    ReplyDelete
  17. this looks great...we add big onion and tomatoes before adding brinjal......which gives nice taste as well

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so so so tempting.. lovely color!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. interesting dish..looks so tempting..perfect for rasam sadham

    ReplyDelete
  20. definitely i will try this today, thanks Jeyasree ....

    ReplyDelete
  21. definitely i will try this today, thanks Jeyasree ....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Podi curry is my fav anytime....looks so nice

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tried it, quick to make and very tasty.

    ReplyDelete