Friday, March 16, 2012

DRUMSTICK KOOTU | MURUNGAKKAI KOOTU RECIPE

This kootu recipe is the one which i cooked for the first time when i was in 10 th standard. Right from my childhood i am fond of cooking and helping my mom in cooking. This drumstick is one of my most favorite recipe and one day i assisted my mom in making this drumstick kootu.  My father appreciated me so much as the kootu tasted the same as the one my grand mom(father’s dad) makes. He always says the touch of my hands in cooking reminds him of his mother.
kootu
INGREDIENTS:
DRUMSTICK 3 NO
COOKED MOONG DAL 1 CUP
SAMBAR POWDER 1 AND 1/4 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER A PINCH
SALT AS NEEDED
COCONUT OIL 2 TSP
MUSTARD SEEDS 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA A PINCH
COCONUT(GRATED) 3 TBLSP
CUMIN SEEDS 1/2 TSP
CURRY LEAVES FEW

KOOTU
METHOD:
  • Cut the drumstick into small size (2 inches size)
  • Cook this in a pan with a cup of water and add the sambar powder , turmeric powder and salt to this.
IMG_6215
  • Pressure cook 1/2 cup of moong dal with a pinch of turmeric.
  • Grind the coconut and cumin seeds into fine paste adding little water.
  • When the drumstick gets cooked , add the cooked moong dal and the ground coconut mixture to this.

IMG_6219 IMG_6224
  • Mix well and bring it to a boil.
  • Temper with mustard seeds ,asafoetida and curry leaves.
IMG_6225 IMG_6227
  • Enjoy this with plain rice and papad.
kootu
  • If you feel the gravy is little thin add a tsp of rice flour in water and mix without any lumps. Add this to the boiling kootu to make this to rech right consistency

31 comments:

  1. i love this...will do in a same way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the recipe. I make drumstic curry with besan, Yours looks amazing too
    SPICE UP THE CURRY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipe...

    Do check my new blog at eveydayindiancooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy !
    I really miss drumsticks here in Brazil :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drumstick kootu is quite new to me jeyashri. Looks so rich n nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kootu is delicious! First time am coming across a kootu recipe with drumstick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome kootu, I like the seasoning with coconut oil..

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious kootu,I love anything wid drumsticks

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious..awesome recipe!!
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow too good hv never eaten this kootuu.. looks gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  11. We too make this and we say this as poricha kuzhambu. I made the same sterday :) Nice clicks ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amma makes this during the season. looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of drumstick kootu. New to me. Will definitely try it out.

    Photos were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its mouthwatering dish. Love drumsticks of any kind. Miss drumstick nowadays as its not available in Brunei. Its really a feast to me.

    http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com,
    Hamsamalini chandrasekaran

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious kootu...looks tasty

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME KOOTU AND YES WITH A GREAT FLAVOUR

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this a lot ...Delicious kootu

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks absolutely mouthwatering!!....bookamrked!:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kootu is my favorite along with kuzhambu. Looks yummy.

    Vardhini
    Event: Legumes
    Event: Fenugreek/Kasuri Methi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious and yummy kootu !! Looks so homey !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this curry with rice. My comfort food. Yummy one Jeyashri..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks SOOOOOPER Yummy! You/Mythili/Periamma ROCK in Madurai style Cooking!

    I miss Periappa too :'(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some children hate drumsticks, so i cut them in 2.5 " and boil them till colour changes. Cool and then remove pulp with the help of spoon and discard the skin. Use it in any drumstick recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  24. this kuttu is very nice n so tasty !!! I like this very much !! thanks jayashri medam . your viedeo is so handy to beginners !! Thanks a lot !!

    the drumstick pulp can be used in paratha stuffing also !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for a new recipe out of drumsticks.. was getting bored of same old sambhar and kolumbu..

    ReplyDelete
  26. We used to make drumstick kootu only with channadal we won't add coconut to it .this sounds good and new like to try it .thank u jaya

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow.... super kootu, yesturday i made this, came out very well, we all love this..Thanks. My grandma add "Koottu Vadam " while making kootu.Pls tell me how to make kootu vadam.

    ReplyDelete