Tuesday, May 1, 2012

BITTER GOURD FRY RECIPE | BITTER GOURD RECIPES| CRSIPY FRIED BITTER GOURD

   Bitter gourd or pavakkai(in tamil) is mostly made at my place in the form of pitlai or curry, but whatever it is kids will not touch bitter gourd in any form. When nags posted this bitter gourd fry in her space  a long back i tried that and so surprisingly my daughter loved that one very much. After a very long time suddenly i remembered of that and made this for lunch last week and again she enjoyed a lot . She was on the back of me to post this recipe in my space and here i am with the recipe for bitter gourd fry which i tried from Edible Garden.
FRY
INGREDIENTS
BITTER GOURD 4 NO
RICE FLOUR 6-7 TBLSP
SALT TO TASTE
PEPPER POWDER 1/4 TSP
RED CHILLI POWDER 1 TSP
TURMERIC POWDER 1/4 TSP
ASAFOETIDA A GENEROUS PINCH
GARAM MASALA 1/4 TSP
OIL FOR DEEP FRYING
BITTER GOURD FRY
  • Wash and cut the bitter gourd in to two and take out the seeds.
  • Cut them into thin slices.
IMG_0433 IMG_0434
  • As per the original recipe, we have to rub it with salt and keep it aside for an hour. But i totally forgot and added the rice flour, salt, garam masala powder, asafoetida, red chilli powder and pepper powder.
  • Mix well.
IMG_0436 IMG_0439
  • Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
  • Heat oil till it becomes hot for deep frying.
  • The moisture oozed from the mixture is enough and no need to add any water for binding.
  • Deep fry in batches and when it turns golden brown drain in a kitchen towel.
IMG_0440 IMG_0917
  • We had  this with sambar rice.
bitter gourd fry
Note:
  1. This tasted crisp even the next day also as i stored the left over fries in a air tight box and kept inside the fridge.
  2. Cut the bitter gourd into thin slices, else they won’t get cooked inside.
  3. You can also cut the bitter gourd and rub them with salt and keep it aside for and hour. After an hour squeeze out the excess water and follow the remaining steps mentioned above.

36 comments:

  1. looks perfect and crispy jeya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy snacks,luks very crispy and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and crispy snacks.Look very delicious and easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this ...looks so perfect n nice pic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm,super crispy fries,love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, so crispy and perfect, feel like having some now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks inviting and tasty.

    Vardhini
    CooksJoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and tempting....

    ReplyDelete
  9. my husband's fav.. bookmarked .. :) thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this too some time ago. It was just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love these.. looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a great fan of this veggie but these liked of snacks I love them !! looks so crunchy and luscious one !!

    Ongoing event CC:Mom’s Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  13. My all time fav veggie, looks super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make it the similar way. I'm a hard core fan of bitter gourd and love it this way !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so crispy n yummy Jeya...

    ReplyDelete
  16. so delicious.
    Love this recipe

    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very yummy n crispy fry... Love it

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow..looking very yummy and lovely.....I like this kind of crisp...I use to eat when i was in india......now I can prepare from ur recipe..thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. My hubby eats only 2 things made with bitter gourd. One is this bitter gourd fry/ more like chips & second is the bittergourd palya :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice pictorial jeyasree! I've never tried this...as I make only paavakkai puli kuzhambu!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the only way my husband will eat bittergourd. I love how perfect they look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice recipe and looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Varuval looks superb Jeyashri, craving for some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh didn't see this! glad you liked it :) i think i just put this recipe together one day, one of those rare occasions when inspiration hit me :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's an excellent recipe. Tried this today & it came out very nicely. Never imagined such a crispy & tasty thing can be made from notorious bitter pakarkai. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying out. my family's favorite too

      Delete
    2. I live in Malmö Sweden, in a very blended community. The local food shop is run by an Arab family and you'll find fresh vegetables from around the world.
      I found this funny looking and weirdly rubbery green vegetable there and I asked the shop owner what it was and he said "Good question! I have no idea. But my friend over there is from India, let's ask him!"
      So we asked and found out the name and it's uses. He also said that it's not for everyone's pallet.
      When I came home I googled it and ended up here! On your amazing recipes. I'm a chef, Indian cuisine is not my forte although I absolutely love it, but I'm game to try out pretty much any ingredient and learn how to cook them properly. I'll have to go on a mission tomorrow and hopefully find asafoetida though. I have no idea what it is.. Thank you for your inspiration!

      Delete
  26. Hi jeyshri tried this recepie and it came out very well... Correct measurement and correct method

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi,
    very nice recipe thanks for the same bachelors can also use it since its easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made this yesterday.. Everybody liked it very much including my neighbor's kids:) thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  29. It sounds so comforting. Seems like plain dough can be redone in many dishes in different countries and it is always comfort food. Thanks for another good recipe. happycookerz.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tried this and loved it!Really crispy and tasty😀

    ReplyDelete